June 22, 2015

In the Street, Not of the Street

WHEW! Guys, the giant spiritual victories that presented themselves this week are hardly possible to describe. (So I will share only one)

I am so happy here.

We work very hard, Hermana Collins and I. We have some high goals and are stretching far (and she can stretch... she's a cheerleader) to try to work miracles. In spite of all of this work, we don't get to see many immediate results. Which is fine. (I read the marshmallow study, I know delay of gratification is a good thing.) We are patient. Just isn't always easy. But,

Heavenly Father, in His mercy, let us see a door open:

Hermano Peña is husband to the Relief Society President, father to the Young Women's President, and also two other active youth. He is also the only non-member of his family. It took months for him to even say hi to the missionaries, even more months for him to let them into his house. I came after the first few lessons. He sat quietly, but didn't pay much attention. After he paid attention he still wouldn't pray. It has taken months and months of work. We continue to visit because he is the only thing between them and being sealed! When we started to wonder if we were getting anywhere...

He said the closing prayer.

AAAAAAAAHHH! The scriptures reveal that it is the evil spirit that teaches us not to pray. The same evil spirit is waging war against God's children. So, when he finally prayed, it was a spiritual victory. And we got to be part of it!

We may walk all day in the street, but we aren't of it. We are part of something stronger and greater. And it is true. I know it is true.

I send my love and prayers!
Hermana Meldrum

Sent from not my iPad